The Nigerian entertainment industry is filled with amazing female celebrities who are not just talented but have great educational backgrounds too. These female celebrities would rather wear a fashion wig than a court wig. Check out the female celebrities who are lawyers but not practicing it;
1. Lolo: Popularly known as Lolo 1, Omotunde Adebowale Davies is a graduate of Lagos state University, Ojo where she studied Law.She practised the law profession for three years before she left her wig and gown to be an on-air personality, OAP, rocking the airwaves as the Lolo 1 on popular Pidgin English speaking radio station, Wazobia FM.
2. Omawumi: Omawumi graduated from the Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma, Edo state where she studied law in 2005. She worked briefly at her brother’s law firm, O.S Megbele & Associates before finding fame on the stage of West African Idols.There has been no looking back for her since then as she wholly embraced music going on to release her debut album ‘Wonderwoman’ and winning several awards as well as landing a leading endorsement with Mortein.
3. Funke Akindele: Funke Akindele first obtained an Ordinary National Diploma, OND, in Mass Communication, from the Moshood Abiola Polytechnics, Ogun state, before proceeding to the University of Lagos to study Law.While in UNILAG, she followed her passion for the screens. Her first appearance on television drama was in ‘I Need to Know’ as a teenager. After graduation, Funke never tried going to the Law School as she knew what she wanted to be before graduation.
4. Tara Durotoye: Widely acknowledged as the doyen of make-up business in Nigeria, Tara honed her make-up skills while trying to earn her Law degree from the Lagos State University. Although she has never practised Law, she often states that her knowledge of Law helps her in managing her thriving make-up and beauty business.
5. Kemi Adetiba: Another one of Nigeria’s female celebrity lawyers is TV host and director extraordinaire, Kemi Adetiba. Kemi started her affair with the entertainment industry as an On-Air Personality, OAP, with Rhythm 93.7 while she was a law student at the University of Lagos. After discovering her interest in entertainment, Kemi abandoned her law degree and went on to study Film Making in New York Film Academy. She is the brain behind several great music videos like Wizkid’s ‘Tease Me’, Omawunmi’s ‘In the Music’ and Banky W’s ‘Lagos Party’. She has also graced television screens as the host of Maltina Dance All. She now has her own show called “The King Women” right after she directed Nollywood’s highest grossing movie “The Wedding Party”
6. Sasha P: Nigeria female rapper, Sasha P, is a graduate of Law from the University of Lagos. The most decorated Nigerian female rapper in history has also delved into fashion designing. Sasha has however been absent in the music scene for a long while now for reasons best known to her. The rapper graced us with several hit singles once upon a time.
7. Lisa Folawiyo: The director of Jewel by Lisa and originator of embellished Ankara prints attended the University of Lagos where she obtained her Law degree. She established Jewel by Lisa in 2005 and quickly became a force to reckon with as her creative style captured the attention of the international fashion world, including celebrities like Solange Knowles, Kendal Jenner and Catt Sandler of E!m
8. Tosyn Bucknor: On-Air-Personality and sister to Funke Bucknor-Obruthe, Tosin Bucknor also read Law at the University of Lagos. She started her romance with the media as an undergraduate with her weekly column in The Guardian newspaper.Asides singing, she currently works as an OAP with Top 90.9fm and also has written scripts for shows like Amstel Malta Box-office season 2&3 and The Apprentice Africa.