Yemi Eberechi Alade (born 13 March 1989) best known as Yemi Alade, is a Nigerian Afro pop singer. She is best known for her hit single “Johnny” which was well received and took the Nigerian music industry by storm. The 27-year-old Yoruba-Igbo singer has definitely brought a change in the Nigerian music industry.
To Celebrate her day we are sharing with you 7 things you probably don’t know about Mama Africa.
1. Yemi Eberechi Alade was born on March 13, 1989 in Abia State, Nigeria. Her father James Alade is of Yoruba origin while her mother Helen Uzoma is of Igbo origin resulting in her being referred as “Yoruba-Igbo girl”
2. In July 2013, Alade released the video for her romantic afro-R&B song “Bamboo”, produced by Fliptyce. “Bamboo” went on to be a moderate hit and a popular wedding song. In the last quarter of 2013, she broke records when her most recent hit single, “Johnny”, produced by Selebobo, was leaked on the internet.
3. The song became an international smash hit as it dominated music charts in Tanzania, Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, Uganda, Zimbabwe, and the United Kingdom, among others. It has been listed as one of the best songs of 2013, despite the fact that it was released towards the end of the year and without a music video.
4. Her role models in the industry are Waje, Omawunmi and Sasha.
5. Asides music she’s into accessories. She owns a jewelry line called Yemi Alade Collections.
6. In 2013 she was awarded with the ELOY Award and in 2015, she won the Best Female award at the MTV African Music Awards.
7. . She is among the first Nigerian artist to launch her own mobile app.